Monday, January 19, 2009

Cu Chi, and other interesting matters

My classes have been over the past few days, so I've been finding other ways to pass the time, going out to eat and exploring and such.

On Saturday I finally went to the Cu Chi tunnels outside of Saigon, where the Viet Cong hid during the war. They had a really elaborate system of tunnels that allowed them to get underground and reach the Saigon river, and I think it even connects to the city itself. Also, many booby traps were still there, and the tour guide showed us how they all worked. For example, you step on a platform that swings down and you fall on spikes. The tunnels had many entrances, some of them very narrow, and some bigger so the bigger western tourists could fit. You can't even stand up in the tunnels, and have to scoot along with your back hunched over. There are a few lights down there, but some parts were pitch black and you had to slowly creep along and hope not to hit something. We also watched a short video about the tunnels, and listening to the narrator and the tour guide talk, they kept stating how brave the Vietnamese were in fighting off the American Enemy who was trying to invade their homes. A skewed perspective, but that was to be expected. Anyway, I'm glad I did it, it was a nice little half-day trip.

Sunday night there was an end-of-the-year party held by Elite, at this reception hall called the White Palace. Every time I would drive past it, the White Palace always looked like an incredibly lavish place, with everyone dressed up very nice, and I felt like it would be too good for me, but it was alright, I found some friendly western teachers to sit and chat with. The event started with a performance of dancers followed by break dancers, and then the announcer presented some awards and talked about the progress made by Elite over the year. Standard stuff, really. Then the buffet started, and my oh my were we in for a treat. There was so much food, both Vietnamese and western, I was in heaven. Then had some fried breaded squid balls, and noodles, and rice, and really incredible pieces of beef, as well as a very spicy seafood soup. Basically, I love food, so I was happy. Then they started a talent performance from various teachers at the school, singing different cheesy pop songs and dancing. When I saw them performing, all dressed up nicely and belting their hearts out, I could not picture them as teachers. To me, this would be very different from a Christmas party at a school in America. In Vietnam, I guess there's not as much embarrassment about putting yourself out there and singing something you love. No one is ever ashamed to sing, whether it be in the shower, or at karaoke, or riding on a motorbike.

Tomorrow I begin my valiant sojourn towards the faraway land of Pleiku. I will probably be eating Vietnamese food for 2 weeks straight, so maybe I'll lose some weight. I'm looking forward to relaxing and just going with the flow. If I have internet access, I'll update the blog with information and pictures.

For now, here are some pictures from Cu Chi.



2 comments:

xvxsariexvx said...

Wow, that was very telling that they had to build wider tunnels for us fat Westerners, HEHE ;D

Break-dancing and singing, huh? LOL IRL :D

Sounds like you had a feast too! Wow, some poor old ladies must by cooking all that food D:

That last picture of the spikey booby trap looks pretty scary from the way you shot it--you're getting to be quite the photojournalist there, Peebo!

(I'm so jealous)! ^_^

Well, have fun on vacay! TTYS, hopefully!

If not, have a blast! :P

Love,
Sara

mrlucky said...

I would suppose tunnels were kept narrow and low to hinder invaders... not unlike castles and forts with their restricted and convoluted entrances like we saw at Fort Adams in Newport.

Remember Yogurt to help with digestion of native foods.

Enjoy vacance, in the country, you have worked pretty hard so far to stay afloat there.