Saturday, September 6, 2008

Vacation and House Warming

So from Monday to Friday we took a little vacation to the beach. First we went to Vung Tau, didn't like it too much, too busy and no good beaches, so we journeyed to Mui Ne, which was a lot nicer. It's a resort town but there weren't many people there, it must have been off season. We were able to get a bungalow at a resort for cheap, it was right on the beach and also had a pool. Most of the time we just hung out, swam, napped, read, went out to eat, repeat. It was pretty relaxed the whole time, but it was nice, especially being in such a beautiful area. It was a really nice mini-vacation before we started working.

Last Sunday I moved into my house, but today the guy who was living here before me finally got all his stuff out, so I was able to move into the bigger, better room and start making it my home. I like the house, it's really peaceful, like an oasis in the middle of the madness of the city. At some point I may have to buy some art to put on the walls so I truly feel like a young cultured professional on the rise, or something.

We got the jobs at the school called Elite. All we have to do is show up on Thursday for a training session for a few hours, and then we can start getting scheduled to teach. I'm really looking forward to it. All this free time is nice, but I need some structure, and some money. From my training and practice, I also found that I really enjoy teaching and feel that I'm making a positive impact on people. You can be surprised how well two people can communicate even when one of them is far from fluent in the language.

I've also been hanging out with a girl named Uyen who was one of the students in my practice teaching class. It seems to be slowly developing into a relationship. I am completely confused about the etiquette of Vietnamese dating customs, so I find the whole thing both terrifying and exciting, which is a good combination. I believe that I just have to relax and let things progress naturally.

And now, some pictures:


The beach by our resort.


Posing with my motorbike. We rented them for an afternoon to drive around.


My new bedroom, before I moved my stuff in.


The living room downstairs.


The curvy staircase which leads upstairs.


The view outside my bedroom window, one floor up.


Me and Uyen.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

That beach looks beautiful, I'm jealous!!!

Anonymous said...

Peter, congratulations to all of you on your new jobs. Now starts yet another chapter - and you have had so many since you have been there! I love your photos - you on a motorbike is a first! What a ham! Love your apartment - your 'bachelor's pad'. You really lucked out with that. Good luck with orientation and your new beginning - Love, Mom (and Dad)

xvxsariexvx said...

Congratulations on the house! I'm so glad you're having fun! <3

Sara

mrlucky said...

Are you sure this is Vietnam? From your pics it looks suspiciously like Italy.....is that a Vespa?

Well wherever you are—keep sending us the details!

Petros said...

You know, I'm beginning to think that every warm-climate beach resort environment looks the same. it reminded me of greece.