Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back in Saigon

We made it back to Ho Chi Minh City without any problems. It was just another long bus ride. It was drizzling lightly when we got here but it started raining harder and harder until it was a downpour. So, while we were hoping to explore the city a little more, we only really checked out a few blocks around our place. Graham and I are staying at the languagecorps school where we're taking classes, so that's really convenient. Greta and Genessa are in another hotel, and it's kinda weird to be split up after two weeks of us all living in the same house. It should be easier to communicate here, though, since I got a phone that works in Vietnam and I think they're getting phones, too.
Anyway, I'll still need a little time to warm up to the city, and maybe it will look more inviting when/if the rain stops. It already seems much friendlier and less chaotic than that first ride from the airport. Once I get a little better with the language, I think it will go more smoothly. We had kind of a tough time ordering coffee today in a place that wasn't really used to English speakers. Better to stick to more tourist-friendly places at least in the beginning. The people I see seem to be nice, and since I'll be living in this city for a year, I long to fit in with them and adapt to the culture. Of course, since I look different from them, in many ways I will always appear to be a foreigner to some of them, but just as my goal in Greece was to become an Athenian, my goal here is to become as much of a Saigonite as possible.

I finally got a chance to upload my pictures from Cambodia, and there are about 220 in total. I've got descriptions written for about half of them, and I hope to finish that another time. Check them out here: http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m418/PetroSmith/Two%20Weeks%20in%20Cambodia/

4 comments:

xvxsariexvx said...

I saw the pictures Peter, WOW! I can't believe all the amazing architecture in Phnom Penh!!! Those temple shots were truly spectacular!
Keep clicking! ;D

Love,
Sara

Uncle John said...

Hi Petros,

I am enjoying reading the Adventures of the Rock of Saigon. Your descriptions and photos of Cambodia are most interesting. It seems similar to Thailand, where I have been several times.

I look forward to your next installment.

Love,
John

mrlucky said...

You’re back in the land of the giant golden turtle, with it’s magic sword...lha gyal lo!

Unknown said...

Peter - I loved the shots. What a remarkable and memorable trip you are having!